Winter is sure starting to feel real. I am loving the holiday vibes and the cooler weather (OK, maybe not so much in Hawaii, but the rainy windy days will do). I am enjoying soups now and trying out new recipes that include simple and delicious ingredients. I was excited to see this month’s Recipe Redux to be on soup!
“Let’s take a new look into the soup bowl. Soup is comfort food, but it’s going lots of new places from prep in the Instant Pot to lunchboxes where it’s served up in an individual thermos. Show us your healthy recipes for switching up soup.”
This soup is super simple and sweet, and perfect for lunch or dinner!
Sweet Winter Squash and Apple Bisque
2 cups butternut squash, cubed
1 cup celery, chopped
2 medium apples (green or red), diced
3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1 cup skim milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. On a baking sheet, spread out butternut squash and drizzle 2 tbsp coconut oil over them. Mix well to evenly coat the cubes.
3. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until butternut squash is soft.
4. In a saucepan, add remaining 1 tbsp coconut oil, apples and celery. Saute for 2 minutes. Add cooked butternut squash to saucepan and mix well.
5. Saute for about 3-5 minutes, or until celery and apples are soft.
6. Add ingredients into a blender. Add milk and blend until smooth.
7. Top with sunflower seeds, cranberries and ground cinnamon. Serve hot and enjoy!