Happy Halloween to all! There are so many halloween themed recipes circulating the internet and I love all the cool and creepy ideas. I didn't have much time this year to plan and create something halloween themed so I resorted to baking cupcakes instead. All you need is a simple and delicious cupcake recipe, frosting (store bought or home-made) and edible googly eyes!
Hope you don't mind my awesome decorating and frosting skills (extreme sarcasm)-- but it works for the scary theme, right?!
For this recipe, I added some Greek yogurt since I have never tried it in cupcakes, and it turned out pretty well.
Now I'm off to work and possibly doing nothing for Halloween tonight... maybe I'll just eat these cupcakes one by one when I get home. hehehe. Enjoy and have fun tonight!
What is your favorite Halloween treat?
Boo-tiful Halloween Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 1 cup skim milk
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Store bought frosting or your favorite frosting recipe!
- edible googly eyes
- chocolate chips to spell 'BOO'
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream together coconut oil and sugar. Add vanilla extract, eggs, Greek yogurt, and cooled dark chocolate. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well. Add milk slowly until well combined.
- Gently mix in chocolate chips.
- In a prepared muffin pan, fill each cup about ¾ full with batter and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Allow cupcake to completely cool before frosting. Add some edible googly eyes or spell out spooky words in chocolate chips.