This week's obession: walnuts. My goal this week is to make delicious yet healthful treats that contain walnuts. Omega-3s fatty acids are essential for the body yet the body cannot make them, relying on foods to provide this essential nutrient. As a college student with a tight budget, I like to make sweets that can be affordable and tasty. For this recipe, I used whole wheat flour and added dark chocolate chips for a richer and sweeter taste. Next time you feel like making an on-the-go nutritious snack, try these Walnut Banana Cookies!
Recipe Courtesy: Walnuts.org
Walnut Banana Cookies
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large banana
- 3/4 cup instant (1 minute) oats
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups California walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat the butter and sugars together until smooth. Mix in the egg and vanilla extract. Finely chop the banana (there will be about 3/4 cup) and stir it into the sugar mixture. Stir in the oats, flour, salt, baking powder and walnuts.
- Spoon the dough about 1 1/2 inches apart on parchment lined cookie sheets.