My dad is my inspiration...especially in the kitchen. I have grown up eating home-cooked meals and enjoying flavorful dinners that my dad prepares every night. One of my favorite meals includes seafood, poultry, meat and vegetables... I know that sounds like a lot of protein but vegetables are included. I really enjoy this recipe with brown rice or whole grain pasta and I hope you enjoy it too!
- 1/2 pound uncooked chicken breast, cut into 1/4" cubes
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 large jalapeno, diced
- 3 celery stems, julienned
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup lager beer
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 (14-ounce) can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 10 small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 Andouille sausage, cut into 1/4" cubes
- 1/2 cup non-fat milk
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- Brown chicken breast in medium size pan. Set aside.
- Pour olive oil into separate pan and sautee chopped garlic with red bell pepper, jalapeno, celery and onion and season with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Stir 3 tablespoons flour into vegetable mixture to create a roux, or until mixture becomes thick.
- Add lager to mixture and cook for 2 minutes, on medium heat.
- Add chicken stock and cook for 2 minutes, on medium heat.
- Pour diced tomatoes into mixture and cover, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir browned chicken, shrimp and sausage into mixture and put on low heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup milk and cook for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle green onion on top and serve with brown rice or pasta.