Pasta is a simple dish and a versatile food that can be prepared in various ways. Some of my favorite pasta dishes are both filling and extremely cheesy such as home-made baked mac and cheese, spaghetti and meatballs or lasagna. All these dishes contain those two ingredients that can add up in calories: cheese and carbohydrates. One of my NEW favorite meals contains more vegetables and less cheese: baked veggie casserole. As college student I know many of us eat a lot of pasta because it's cheap and easy to prepare but as mentioned, carbo-loading may lead to weight gain and unfortunately many pasta dishes are not full of nutrients. With this recipe, you can include more vegetables and still enjoy the cheesy goodness on a budget.
Baked Veggie Rigatoni Casserole
- 8 ounces Rigatoni pasta, cooked and drained
- 3 cups spaghetti sauce
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ½ cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- Cooking spray
- Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In large bowl, combine spaghetti sauce, onion and bell peppers and mix well.
- Spoon the spaghetti mixture and cooked pasta into a 9x9-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese and pepper over pasta and bake for 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Cool for 10 minutes and serve warm.