This is my first Recipe Redux post and I was very excited to find out that California Avocados was sponsoring this month's challenge! I have always enjoyed avocados in many of my meals such as sandwiches, salads and burritos. For this recipe, I wanted to add avocado to a dish I had never made before: a tart. I added avocado into the cream cheese mixture and topped it off with sliced avocados, tomatoes and basil and ended up with a flavorful appetizer. Avocados contain fiber, potassium, vitamins, minerals and a variety of essential nutrients. They are also great substitutes for butter or spreads!
Disclosure: I received free samples of California Avocado mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by California Avocado and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
Tomato-Basil Avocado Tart
Yeild: 4 servings
- 1 (9-inch) refrigerated ready-to-unroll pie crust
- 4 ounces whipped reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon skim milk
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 California avocado, peeled and sliced
- 5 red cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 5 yellow cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 teaspoon Garlic and Herb seasoning
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place piecrust into 9-inch tart pan and gently press down; prick all over with fork. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden. Cool tart shell completely.
- While pie crust is baking, place cream cheese, 1/2 of avocado, milk, 2 tablespoons fresh basil and seasoning in a medium bowl and mix together.
- Spread cheese mixture evenly in tart shell. Arrange left over avocado slices and tomatoes on top of filling. Sprinkle with left over basil and serve!