I love chocolate. I started looking for new recipe trends, I came across black beans brownies and cakes. I'm thinking to myself, "BLACK BEANS?!" I could not picture beans tasting anything but savory, but once I tried making cake or brownies with black beans, I absolutely loved it! My sister does not like beans at all but when I had her try these cake squares, I made sure that she did not know that I used black beans. Funny thing is, she loved them (until I told her about the beans, haha). The cocoa powder really gave it a delicious, chocolatey flavor and the black beans provided a moist texture. I also added powdered sugar to give it a nice decorative touch and sweeter flavor.
Black Bean Cake Squares
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips, chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Powdered sugar, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- In a blender combine all of the ingredients (except the dark chocolate chips) and blend until mixture is smooth.
- Pour the batter into a 9 x 13 pan. Chop the dark chocolate chips and spread it on top of mixture.
- Bake the cake for 30-35 minutes, or until firm. Take out of oven and cool completely. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top, cut into squares and serve!