For this month's Recipe ReDux we are celebrating 54 months of recipe reduxing! To celebrate, we had to grab your nearest cookbook and redux the recipe on page 54 or 154. I chose the Fast and Simple Gluten Free cook book by Gretchen F. Brown, RD. On page 154 she makes these incredible Maple Oat Nut Scones... I wanted to give gluten-free scones a try. Since I am not familiar with gluten-free baking I was a little nervous to do this for my recipe redux post but I'm glad I gave it a try. I made these Gluten-Free Strawberry Oat Nut Scones inspired by Gretchen's recipe. They are perfect for those holiday brunches or early Christmas breakfast.
Gluten-Free Strawberry Oat Nut Scones
- 4 teaspoons golden flaxseed meal
- 4 teaspoons hot water
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free rolled oats, coarsely ground in a food processor
- 1 2/3 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup strawberries, stemmed and diced
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- To make the scones, combine the flaxseed meal and water, stir to make paste. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Cut the butter into the flour mixture with your fingers until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Combine the cream, egg, egg yolk and almond extract in a small bowl. Add cream mixture and the flax paste to the dry ingredients. Stir until combined. Add the strawberries and walnuts.
- Form dough into an 8-inch circle on a parchment lined baking sheet using lightly floured hands. Chill the dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut dough into 8 wedges, leaving space between scones. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely.
- Top scones off with powdered sugar and enjoy!
For more delicious and simple gluten-free recipes, be sure to check out Gretchen's blog: www. kumquatblog.com !