Back in the day, I always looked forward to coming home from a long day at school and sitting down to enjoy my dad's cooking. But now as a college student and cook at a local organic food store, I look forward to making dinner (just like dads) for myself. Yes, it can be difficult to find the time, money and energy to make something delicious and somewhat healthy, but I like to try and make a heart-healthy dinner at least two nights a week. My go-to protein for dinner is chicken. It is simple to cook and goes with rice, vegetables and different kinds of sauce. Teriyaki sauce is a favorite, especially home-made. Since I am in Hawaii I made a teriyaki sauce using fresh pineapple. The pineapple provided a sweet but also tangy flavor. The wonderful combination of teriyaki chicken on white rice really reminds me of a home-cooked meal made with love. This recipe will serve 4 people, so I definitely had leftovers!
Tangy Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 green bell pepper, julienned
- 1 yellow bell pepper, julienned
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups white rice, cooked
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh pineapple (or canned pineapple)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- In a large frying pan, heat two tablespoons olive oil until shimmering. Add cut chicken in a single layer on the pan and cook until both sides of chicken are brown, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Once chicken is done, place on a clean plate and set aside. Pour one tablespoon olive oil in the same frying pan and saute bell peppers, onion and garlic. While vegetables are cooking, start making teriyaki sauce.
- In a blender, combine soy sauce, pineapple, honey, ginger and garlic. Blend until smooth. (Add water to blend, if needed) Once blended, stir in cornstarch.
- Once vegetables are done cooking add cooked chicken and teriyaki sauce into pan and evenly coat with sauce.
- Serve teriyaki chicken over white rice and enjoy!