I need more cheese bites! This recipe is one of my all time favorites because I enjoy eating chips or crackers as a snack on occasion, but lately I've been wanting to avoid those extra calories, fat and random ingredients. For this month's Recipe ReDux the theme was "What favorite kitchen staples do you now make from scratch – but in the past you purchased? Show us your best DIY recipe for keeping cupboards, fridge or freezer stocked with healthy basics." These cheese bites are made with natural and simple ingredients.
My friends are going crazy for these cheese bites!
Homemade Cheese Bites
- 8-ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-3 tablespoon ice water
- In a food processor, mix the cheese, butter, and salt and pepper on low speed. Add the flour. Slowly add water and mix until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Divide the dough into 2 and roll out into a rectangle no more than 1/8 inch thick. Using a fluted pastry dough cutter, cut into 1 inch squares.
- Place the cut squares on baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Using a toothpick, poke a hole into the center of each cracker.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until brown on edges. Let cool completely. Enjoy!