Quinoa is my new favorite ingredient! I have been trying to incorporate this versatile grain into my diet lately due to its high protein content and ability to be in any dish imaginable. Last week I made a NO BAKE quinoa bar and this week I'm going for a greek quinoa salad! You can add any vegetables you like to a quinoa salad but I stuck to the greek inspired theme of cucumber, tomatoes, lemon juice and olive oil (I know I should have added olives!). I also added cut collard greens to brighten up this salad and to increase my daily iron intake... as a college student it can be difficult to maintain a healthy and well-balanced diet so I am glad I was able to make such a nutrient dense, simple, quinoa salad. Enjoy!
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 red onion, cubed
- 1 cucumber, cubed
- 2 collard green leaves, ribs and stems removed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the quinoa, reduce to a simmer and cover quinoa. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Pour into a large bowl and cool completely.
- Stir in olive oil and lemon juice. Add grape tomatoes, onion and cucumber. Garnish with collard greens and season with salt and pepper.