Polenta is a convenient food that is made from yellow cornmeal. It can be made into one nutritious and filling dish when paired with the perfect ingredients. For this recipe, I paired the polenta with a delicious chili and cheese topping and created a polenta pie in about 30 minutes!
I still have leftovers for the next couple days (every college students dream...delicious leftovers!)
This dish is full of carbs, fiber, vitamins and minerals, protein and yummy, cheesy ingredients!
Chili and Polenta Pie
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups polenta
- 1 15-ounce can low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon tumeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- pinch salt and pepper
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Pour in polenta steadily, stirring constantly. Continue to stir until polenta is thickened, about 10-15 minutes. Pour and spread polenta onto a greased baking sheet in the middle of a circular cake cutter, let stand for a few minutes.
- In a sauce pan, combine black beans, garlic, chili powder, cumin, tumeric powder, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let mixture cool.
- Pour bean mixture on top of polenta leaving the cake cutter in place. Spread mixture evenly so polenta is covered. Top with mozzarella cheese. Place in oven for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Carefully remove circular cake cutter. Cut and serve chili polenta pie slices. Enjoy!