Living in Hawaii for the past five years has introduced me to the Hawaiian culture and various foods. One of the most popular breakfast meals here is known as the Loco Moco. This meal is a hamburger patty topped with two-three fried eggs resting on a bed of macaroni salad or white rice, dowsed in brown gravy. Sounds delicious right?! But unfortunately, it is high in calories and in fat. *sigh*
For this post, I was able to participate in a recipe contest sponsored by The Beef Checkoff and decided to make my own version of a Loco Moco with lean ground beef! I seasoned 90% lean ground beef with my favorite seasonings, made over easy eggs, cooked brown rice and created a lighter gravy.
With 25 grams of protein and 10 essential nutrients in just one 3-ounce serving, try making lean beef a part of your diet and see the difference in your health and the way you feel!
“I received beef product mentioned in this post at no cost. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by The Beef Checkoff and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.”
Lean and Mean Loco Moco
Makes 4 Servings
- 12-ounces (90% or more lean) ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 tablespoons flour mixed with 4 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- salt and pepper
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, onion, garlic, olive oil, chili powder and paprika. Mix well.
- Divide meat into four 3-ounce beef patties.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet on medium heat, until hot. Place meat on skillet, about 1/2 inch from each other. Cook for about 3-5 minutes on each side, or until cook through.
- Place cooked hamburgers on a warm platter and keep warm while preparing the gravy. Remove oil from skillet, leaving brown particles in pan. Pour broth into pan and heat to boiling, stirring and loosening brown particles. Add flour and water to heated broth, stirring constantly, until smooth. Add oregano, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to simmer.
- While gravy is simmering, set up a medium non-stick skillet on medium heat. Cook eggs over easy.
- Set up four plates with 1/2 cup cooked brown rice on each plate and place one beef patty on top of rice. Place one egg on top of each patty and pour gravy over egg.
Enjoy your lean and mean Loco Moco!