Technically, winter is still here and I am really enjoying my early mornings with coffee in hand and snuggling a warm blanket while watching the morning news. To make my morning even more enjoyable, I decided to make some holiday inspired biscotti with a citrus touch. Now, I have never made biscotti before but I have always watched my mom make it for the various Christmas or holiday parties we attended throughout the years. I thought I would give biscotti a try by using up some of our leftover holiday favorites: dried cranberries and walnuts. This is the perfect combo for the most addicting breakfast/dessert cookie! To top it off, I generously dipped these cookies into an orange zest white chocolate mixture to give it some ZING!
Cranberry Walnut Biscotti Dipped in Orange Zest White Chocolate
- powdered sugar, for rolling
- 2 cups dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup cranberry juice
- hot water
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (11-ounce) bag white chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl combine cranberries and cranberry juice and add hot water, covering the cranberries completely. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, ground ginger and salt.
- Drain the cranberries in the sink.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs. Add to flour mixture. Stir in cranberries and walnuts until dough forms.
- Scrape the dough on a lightly powdered sugared countertop or surface and divide into 4 pieces. Roll each piece into a log shape. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Place 2 logs on each baking sheet, inches apart. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until logs feel firm. Let logs cool for 8 minutes.
- When cooled, cut logs into 1/2 inch slices with a serrated knife.
- Lay slices out on a prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 10 minutes, or until light brown. Cool completely.
- While biscotti is cooling, prepare melted white chocolate. Microwave white chocolate with coconut oil for 1 minute, stirring every 15 seconds, or until white chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Stir in orange zest.
- Once biscotti is cooled, dip each slice into melted white chocolate and place on prepared baking sheet. Place in fridge for 30-40 minutes or until chocolate is hard. Enjoy!