Spring is in the air and colorful foods are all I can think about! I love spring time and the natural beauty of everything around me. So my recipes have been a little more colorful than usual. :) A recent food trend that I have caught on to is incorporating more whole grains or ancient grains into our daily diet. Although I have used quinoa before in a few of my recipes, it is about time that we got reacquainted!
Quinoa is a healthy, gluten-free and low-fat grain that can be paired with almost anything! Some recipes include chicken quinoa bowls, breakfast bars, breakfast bowls, cookies and even quinoa salads! Quinoa is perfect for vegetarian or vegan diets and can provide protein and fiber to your diet. This recipe is simple, light and flavorful and can be paired with any of your favorite veggies. I personally enjoy quinoa with chicken but for this post I made this recipe vegetarian-- since quinoa is packed with protein too. This recipe can be used for a main entree or a side salad. Whatever you like!
I also used some Meyer lemons from my Grandmother's yard to give this recipe some kick and garnish.
I hope you like it!
DID YOU KNOW! 1 cup of cooked quinoa (185 g) contains 8.14 grams of protein !!
What are your favorite spring veggies?
Steamed Vegetables with Quinoa
Yield: 3 servings
- 3 cups quinoa, cooked
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers (I used one yellow and one red bell pepper), diced
- 1 1/2 cups corn, canned or frozen
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Meyer lemon, juiced or sliced
- In a large pot, place a heat resistant colander that will fit inside. Fill the pot with enough water so that is just barely reaches the bottom of the colander. Bring water to a boil.
- Add carrot, zucchini and broccoli in colander and place a loose fitting lid on top to cover, so steam can escape. Steam for about 6-8 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add to cooked quinoa.
- In a separate pan, saute onion, bell peppers, corn, garlic, salt and pepper with olive oil, for 3-5 minutes. Add to cooked quinoa. Toss quinoa and vegetables with 1 tablespoon olive oil, until ingredients are evenly distributed. Add juice of half a lemon and garnish with lemon slices. Serve hot or cold and enjoy!
Per serving: 480 calories, 19 g FAT, 13 g PRO, 76 mg sodium, 7 g sugar