It’s National Peanut Butter Cookie Day! And I am super excited to share this recipe because I love peanut butter and so does the rest of my family. So I made cookies this morning and they were gone INSTANTLY! Peanut butter is one of my favorite ingredients to use when baking because it provides baked goods with more protein and fiber and has a delicious flavor. For this recipe, I made it vegan by substituting butter with applesauce and olive oil-- so they have less fat and sugar!
These cookies are sweet, delicious and so simple to make that you'll be making them every weekend ;)
Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon flax seed
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons raw honey (use agave if strictly vegan)
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4-ounces applesauce, unsweetened
- 4 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, flaxseed, chia seed and salt. Mix well.
- Add vanilla, honey, peanut butter, applesauce and olive oil. Mix well.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- On a prepared baking sheet, roll dough into 1" balls. Flatten each ball with a fork, making a crisscross pattern. Repeat until all dough is used.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until brown around edges. Let cool and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts: 104 calories, 12 g CHO, 6 g FAT, 1 g PRO, 14 mg sodium, 6 g sugar, 2 g Fiber