Walnuts are one of my favorite snacks! They are delicious to eat especially on salads, in smoothies or as a candied treat. California Walnuts sponsored this month's Recipe Redux contest and I took this opportunity to make a sweet and simple dessert. This Dark Chocolate Tart is super rich and satisfies anyone's sweet tooth with just one small slice!
By adding walnuts to any dessert (especially as a crust) is an easy way to consume more omega-3s and other important nutrients!
DID YOU KNOW-- "Walnuts provide important components of a healthy diet – an ounce of walnuts has 2.5 grams of the essential plant-based omega-3 alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), and 4 grams of protein and 2 grams of fiber to keep you feeling full."
“By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by the California Walnut Commission and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.”
Dark Chocolate Tart with Orange Candied Walnut Crust
- 3 cups Orange Candied Walnuts
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 8 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1 tablespoon zest from orange
- Prepare Orange Candied Walnuts.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor, finely grind up orange candied walnuts. Add coconut oil. Grind up more.
- In a prepared tart pan, press crushed candied walnuts into pan to create crust, until bottom of pan is evenly covered.
- Bake crust for 5-10 minutes or until crust starts to brown around the edges. Remove from oven. Let cool.
- In a small pot on stove top, add heavy whipping cream and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- In a bowl, add dark chocolate chips. Slowly pour hot heavy whipping cream on chocolate, stirring constantly, until chocolate fully melts. Stir in sea salt.
- Pour melted dark chocolate mixture on top of walnut crust. Cover and put in fridge for 2-4 hours, or until chocolate is solid. Top with orange slices and orange zest, cut and serve cold. ENJOY!