New dietary recommendations emphasize eating more plant-based protein. Beans such as black and pinto, are a delicious way to get more plant based protein into your diet. Although this chili recipe contains ground turkey, the beans add additional protein as well as fiber.
This burrito recipe is fairly spicy, so the coleslaw pairs well by cooling your palate. Both beans and cabbage are inexpensive ways to increase plant based protein and vegetables.
Chili can also be made ahead of time and it freezes well which makes it easy to pull out small portions at a time limiting the food waste. A head of cabbage also keeps well in the vegetable bin of your refrigerator.
This is a hearty meal that will satisfy all this summer. Enjoy!
California Chili Burrito
Makes 6 servings
- 1-pound ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 heaping tablespoon garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons chili powder (I used1 McCormick Mild Chili Powder packet)
- 1 tablespoon Tapatio hot sauce (or Sriracha)
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (16-ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 (16-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (16-ounce) can chili beans, drained
- 6 flour (or whole wheat tortillas)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup non-fat Greek plain yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1 large avocado, diced
- cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime + lime juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
Cool Creamy Coleslaw
- 1 cabbage, cut and shredded
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons red win vinegar
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/3 cup nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (or 1 packet of Splenda)
- dash of salt and black pepper
- To prep chili: In a medium pot on stove top, add olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and ground turkey. Cook turkey until cooked completely.
- Add pinto beans, black beans, chili beans and tomato sauce to pot. Stir in chili powder and hot sauce. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10 more minutes.
- To Assemble burritos: On a warm tortilla add 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, 1 cup cooked chili and a dollop of nonfat yogurt (or sour cream). Wrap burrito and top it of with avocado mixture (or your favorite guacamole).
- To prep coleslaw: In a large bowl, combine cabbage, bell pepper and cilantro. Set aside.
- Prepare dressing by mixing ingredients in a small bowl and adding to cabbage mixture. Toss until cabbage is fully covered. Mix in salt and pepper. Portion 1/2 cup coleslaw with each burrito.
Enjoy this hearty meal with family and friends <3