This summer has been full of many recipe development days where I tried new foods and new ways to combine some of my favorite ingredients. When I heard about this month's Recipe Redux Zespri Kiwifruit sponsored recipe contest, I wanted to make a savory but sweet entree including one of my favorite fruits!
“I received free samples of Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Zespri Kiwifruit and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.”
SO for this recipe, I used the SunGold Zespri Kiwifruits as a marinade for the chicken breast-- to help tenderize the meat even more. I paired this delicious Peruvian style chicken with a citrus salsa served with roasted potatoes and broccoli. This entree was tender, delicious and satisfying. This is my new favorite way to cook chicken and it's quite simple!
DID YOU KNOW?! Both green and SunGold kiwifruit contain an enzyme called actinidin that helps break down protein. Actinidin occurs only in kiwifruit and improves digestive comfort by increasing the breakdown of proteins and facilitating digestion and emptying of the stomach. The actinidin can serve as a meat tenderizer: just peel and mash a kiwifruit and spread over meat or make a kiwifruit marinade. Actinidin will also break down protein in dairy so recipes with dairy should be consumed right away.
Kiwi infused Peruvian Chicken:
Yield: 5 servings
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons White Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
Zespri Kiwifruit Marinade:
- 3 Zespri kiwifruits, scooped and mashed
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
Citrus Zespri Kiwifruit Salsa:
- 3 Zespri (SunGold and Green combined) Kiwifruits, scooped and diced
- 1 orange, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- chopped mint, optional
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, white vinegar, cumin, paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper to create a paste/rub.
- Place raw chicken in a pan and pour rub on top, evenly coating chicken. Cover with foil and set in fridge while you prepare marinade.
- In a clean bowl, combine SunGold Zespril Kiwifruit, orange juice and lime juice, mix well.
- Take chicken out of fridge and pour marinade on top until chicken is fully coated. Place back in refrigerator and marinate for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
- Transfer chicken to a clean pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from oven and let sit for 5-8 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare citrus salsa. In a small bowl, combine SunGold Zespri Kiwifruit, Green Kiwifruit, orange, orange juice and lime juice, mix well. Refrigerate until chicken is cooked.
- Top kiwi infused Peruvian chicken with citrus kiwi salsa and serve with your favorite veggies! Enjoy.