With Easter Sunday right around the corner, I have been recipe developing a delicious Easter dessert. I am a sucker for carrot cake but would like to change it up every once in a while. So for this recipe I added pineapple, because it's one of my favorite fruits and I don't think it gets enough love in the baking community. Or at least I don't bake with it enough! These bars are flavorful and filling! They actually taste similar to blondies-- but this recipe adds some nutrients from the fruit and veggies. These are definitely going to be a hit for the family tomorrow and I think they will be on my breakfast or snack recipe list <3
Carrot Cake Pineapple Bars
Makes 10-12 bars
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup pineapple, diced
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (8-ounce) package of cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla. Fold in the carrot and pineapple. Set aside.
- In another bowl combine flour, baking powder and baking soda. Mix well.
- Add to flour mixture to the wet mixture. Stir until combined. In a prepared 13x9 inch baking pan, pour batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- To prepare frosting, in a medium mixing bowl, combine all frosting ingredients and mix with an electric mixer on medium speed. Mixture should start to look fluffy, and frosting life. Spread frosting on carrot cake bars and cut into pieces. Enjoy!
Note: Top with chopped walnuts or raisins to get that carrot cake feel!