It's #meatless monday and I'm enjoying some roasted cauliflower walnut tacos! I am trying to go meatless at least once a week and I am doing so by replacing meat with plant-based foods! This week I made cauliflower and walnut tacos for a heart healthy and filling meal. I seasoned the base of this recipe as if I was making a ground meat base for regular tacos... with tomato paste, onion, garlic and chili powder. The salsa is also a fabulous touch to this recipe as it provides a light and refreshing tang to the spiciness of the tacos.
Cauliflower Walnut Tacos
- 10 whole wheat small tortillas
- 3 cups walnuts
- 1 head of cauliflower, broken into florets
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup your favorite cheese (I used a blend of cheddar and colby jack)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- On a prepared sheet pan, place cauliflower florets on one half of pan and walnuts on the other. Season both cauliflower and walnuts with chili power, cayenne, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Drizzle them with olive oil until fully coated. Baked for 10-12 minutes, or until walnuts are toasted and cauliflower starts to brown.
- Take out of oven and let cool. Once cool, chop cauliflower and walnuts up and mix together. Set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, combine tomato pasta, garlic, oregano and cumin. Cook until a boil then reduce heat. Add chopped cauliflower/walnut mixture to sauce. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until evenly coated.
- With warm tortillas, assemble tacos.
- Pour a scoop of the cauliflower/walnut mixture on tortilla, top with cheese and salsa (or guacamole). Repeat for all tacos and enjoy immediately!
Mango Avocado Salsa
- 1 mango, pitted and diced
- 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate for 1 hour and serve immediately.