I am one to celebrate Taco Tuesday whenever I can-- whether it be with home-made recipes or at the local taco place with family and friends! Taco tuesday is an opportunity to try all the different taco combinations. So for this month's Recipe Redux theme, "Show us your healthy, creative take on the taco" I was ready to make something different (for me) since I usually go for the chicken or carne asada basic taco. The recipe I decided to share is inspired from the time I spent eating in Hawaii -- garlic shrimp plate trucks on the North Shore and the juicy pineapple from Dole Plantation!
Therefore, this inspiration lead me to make these delicious and simple Garlic Shrimp +Pineapple Street Tacos!
Grilled Garlic Shrimp + Pineapple Street Tacos
Makes 12 tacos
- 12 flour street taco tortillas
- 24 shrimp, tail off and peeled, (I used frozen shrimp and thawed properly)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 heaping tablespoons garlic, minced
- garlic salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups jasmine rice, cooked
- 1 (20-ounce) can pineapple, diced
- 1 handful of cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Using a bread pan, place street taco tortillas in a row, folding sides up against each other- to form a taco shell. Bake for 15 minutes or until tortillas are firm.
- While tortillas bake, cook shrimp. In a large pan, cook shrimp in olive oil and garlic. Season with garlic salt and pepper. Saute for about 8-10 minutes, or until shrimp are fully cooked.
- To assemble tacos: with baked tortilla shells add jasmine rice, pineapple, garlic shrimp and cilantro. Repeat for all tacos and enjoy Taco Tuesday!
Note: Grill the pineapple for more flavor!
Nutrition Facts per taco: 159 calories, 27 g CHO, 2 g FAT, 8 g PRO, 1 g Fiber, 5 g Sugar