In honor of National Spaghetti Day (January 4!) I wanted to share one of my favorite and delicious spaghetti recipes! All you need is ground italian sausage, canned tomatoes and all the veggies you love.
My favorite way to bulk up my meals is with veggies that I normally do not eat-- you know, to change it up. So for this recipe I added green bell peppers and fire roasted canned tomatoes. YUM. I was hoping to add spinach to this recipe but I ran out this week! DARN.
I hope you enjoy!
Italian Sausage and Veggies Spaghetti
- 1 lb. ground Italian sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 lb. cooked spaghetti (follow instructions on package)
- In a large pan, add italian sausage, onion, bell pepper and garlic with olive oil. Cook italian sausage all the way through.
- Add canned tomatoes and tomato sauce. Season with italian seasoning, basil, oregano and salt and pepper. Let simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Add cooked spaghetti to sauce mixture. Cook for another 3-5 minutes. Turn off heat and divide spaghetti among plates. Top with parmesan cheese and enjoy!