Pomegranate seeds are an ingredient I am not very familiar with. I have had pomegranate juice before but never tried to incorporate this fruit or any part of this fruit into any of my recipes. This month's Recipe Redux theme is to "Pick a new ingredient that you’ve been wanting to try… and cook or bake up a new recipe in the new year. Show us how you’re cooking with something new (to you!) in 2016". You guessed it-- I chose pomegranate seeds. This simple, sweet and delicious recipe includes sweet potatoes with a light brown sugar glaze. I hope you enjoy this sweet snack! It sure is filling and satisfies anyone's sweet cravings.
Oh, and pomegranate seeds are full of antioxidants and Vitamin C! YAY. They can also be added to smoothies, baked goods, salads and more!
Pomegranate Brown Sugar Glazed Sweet Potatoes
- 3 large sweet potatoes, washed and cut into large pieces
- 2 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water, as needed
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- On a prepared baking sheet, place cut sweet potatoes in a row and drizzle olive oil on each piece. Sprinkle salt and pepper on each piece.
- Place in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until sweet potatoes are soft enough to stick a knife through.
- While sweet potatoes are baking, prepare brown sugar glaze. In a small sauce pan, melt butter. Add sugar and water. Add pomegranate seeds and stir until sugar is melted. Once melted turn burner off and set aside.
- Take potatoes out of oven and let cool. Pour pomegranate brown sugar glaze on top and serve warm. Enjoy!