The time for pumpkin everything is upon us and I am not ashamed to jump on that train! I am one who enjoys pumpkin pie during the holidays, but lately I have been wanting something pumpkin flavored since the weather finally feels like FALL. Since I am a 'little' busy with my dietetic internship hours, school/thesis work and working on the weekends (just call me crazy like everyone else), I haven't had time to brainstorm some delicious pumpkin recipes.
BUT I WILL OVER THE HOLIDAYS! Stay tuned...
So, I just decided to just add some pumpkin to my morning oatmeal. Since I eat oatmeal every morning during the week, I was sure to make extra! YAY. Such a good idea.
Now this recipe is simple, flavorful and full of fiber. and YES I love and need my daily fiber <3 I also made sure to only add natural sweeteners, so the ripe banana added did the job!
I hope you enjoy and that this recipe gets your in the holiday spirit and you get the feels for FALL.
Pumpkin Banana Oatmeal
Makes 2 servings
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (I used Trader Joe's Mutli-Grain Hot Cereal which is made up of 100% Whole Grain, Rye, Barley, Oats and Wheat)
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk* (or your favorite milk)
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
Optional Toppings: walnuts, dried cranberries, chia seeds, chocolate chunks, almonds, and many more!
*Note: Add more milk for thin texture. I like my oatmeal thick!
- In a medium sauce pan, combine oats, pumpkin puree, milk and mashed banana. On medium heat, let mixture cook, mixing ingredients well. Reduce to simmer.
- Add chia seeds, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Mix well. Let cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour into a bowl. Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy. (I used dark chocolate chunks, chia seeds and walnuts. YUM!)