The summer is hot and the kitchen gets even hotter...making cooking a tedious task when the heat is literally everywhere. I am one to avoid the heat during the summer and I usually apt for smoothies, ice cream and popsicles to cool off immediately. However, that is no diet I should live off of for the whole summer. hehe. So to stay as far away from the heat as possible, I like to use my slow cooker... where I can drop all the ingredients into one pot and let it do its thing while I enjoy the summer days out of school. One of my favorite recipes is one my family loves. Pulled pork sandwiches!
A great summer meal that keeps you out of the kitchen (and out of the added heat) and its so delicious! Also, it's perfect for this month's Recipe Redux theme, "Whether you go slow or fast, just don’t turn on the oven. Show us how to keep the kitchen cool by using one of these appliances: Slow cooker, instant pot, pressure cooker."
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Makes about 12 sandwiches
- 1 (3lb) boneless pork shoulder
- 2 teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (your favorite flavor... I used a Honey BBQ sauce)
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 12 sweet rolls
- In a slow cooker on medium heat, add the olive oil and pork. Cook covered for an hour on medium heat.
- Add BBQ sauce, onion, garlic, mustard, and onion powder. Cook covered on low for 4-5 hours.
- Remove meat. Shred with two forks and return to slow cooker; heat through.
- Lightly toast sweet rolls and place about 2/3 cup serving of pulled pork on each sweet roll. Enjoy immediately!