I have such a big sweet tooth but as a nutrition major, I know that all of the sugar and calories included in my favorite sweet treats aren't always the best for me. So when I saw this month's Recipe Redux, "In honor of our 6th birthday, we’re celebrating with cake…or another small bite dessert that fits your fancy. Show us your healthy small bite dessert creation", I knew it was an opportunity to create something sweet, simple and healthy. And a dessert I wouldn't feel guilty for.
I LOVE to add fresh fruit to my desserts and it's a plus that fruits can add a little fiber and flavor. So this delicious Strawberry Short n Skinny Cake really hit the spot!
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 1 (15.25-ounce) box white cake mix
- 1/4 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cup water
- Sugar Free Vanilla Frozen Yogurt or Ice Cream
- Fresh strawberries
- Lite or nonfat cool whip
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, yogurt, coconut oil, eggs and water. Mix until smooth. In a prepared/lined muffin pan, pour batter about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until toothpick inserted into cupcakes come out clean. Cool completely.
- Cut cupcakes into bite-sized square pieces.
- In a small bowl or ramekin, add 1-2 scoops sugar free vanilla yogurt/ice cream. Sprinkle cake bites and diced strawberries around it. Top with a dallop of lite cool whip and enjoy!
A fun, healthy and refreshing treat for the summer!