Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite foods to use during the fall and winter months. Not only is sweet potato already naturally sweet but it also is high in vitamin A, C, antioxidants and potassium! Plus sweet potatoes can be added to a variety of foods. I recently made my own sweet potato puree that hit the spot in my smoothies, baked goods and as a dip! So I want to share my favorite recipe (there were many trial and errors!) for sweet potato bread. So good and so simple to make.
Cinnamon Sweet Potato Walnut Bread
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cinnamon applesauce
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sweet potato puree
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- extra walnuts and cinnamon for topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- In another large bowl, combine applesauce, sugar, eggs, vanilla and sweet potato puree. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet mixture and stir, until well combined. Fold in chopped walnuts.
- In a prepared 8 x 8 pan, pour batter. Evenly spread batter and top with extra walnuts and cinnamon.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.